Sunday, April 29, 2012

C4T #4

Caine sitting next to his cardboard arcade.

For these final few weeks I was assigned Dean Shareski's blog Ideas and Thoughts to comment on. In the first post I commented on, Best Day, he posted a video about a little boy, Caine, who had built his own cardboard arcade in front of his dad's auto shop. He had all kinds of games that he made himself, even a cardboard crane game. You could buy passes, win tickets, and cash in your tickets for prizes. But no one ever stopped to play his arcade, until the man who made the film did. He was Caine's first customer, and he was so impressed by the kid's imagination and ingenuity, he started a flash mob, using the internet and Facebook to get people to mob the kid's arcade on a specified day, as a surprise for the kid. When it was over, Caine described it as the best day of his life. Shareski commented that there were many lessons to be learned from Caine's creativity and "we should be able to create more "best days" for the people in our lives."


I commented about how cool I thought the kid was for his imagination in making a cardboard arcade, and how amazing it was that the filmmaker's visit turned into the making of the best day of Caine's life. It's really neat that he used the internet to bring all these people together. It even made the front page of Reddit. In the past, he might not have been able to accomplish it without the use of the internet. I'd like to make someone's day the best of their life.


In the second of Shareski's posts I commented on, The Importance and Seriousness of Silly, he talked about presenting at a learning summit for more than 30 teachers. It was about "silly." (Not being silly, or about silliness--"silly".) The presentation he used was in the post. Unfortunately, I don't know what his presentation meant, as, without his comments or lecture, it was largely just slides he probably used to guide himself during his presentation, so I can only guess.


I said in my comment that I agreed that it was important to be silly sometimes, cause otherwise we might explode from being serious all the time. I also congratulated him on being a presenter at the teacher's summit, and I would have been nervous if I was in his position. I also said that I wish I could have heard his lecture, as, without context, the slides don't mean much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment